Monday, September 13, 2010

Everything Old is New Again


With so many much needed changes happening in my life, I'm feeling the need to start blogging again, revamping this super old blog with a new purpose, name, and template. I think the reason why I gave up so quickly on this blog two years ago is because I created it with the sole purpose of having a blog revolve entirely around creating jewelry, when I had to fight to find the time to make jewelry, let alone blog about it. The new name I came up with (literally five minutes ago), The Frazzled Crafter, is because, well, if you know me at all, you know that I'm in a constant state of frazzled.

As far as updates go (and the reasons for being so frazzled) I have a new website (http://www.angelafalcone.com/) with a functioning online store and everything - fancy! I just landed a new job three months ago (thanks to my bestie, Alex - http://accusima.blogspot.com/, for getting me the interview) at an insurance company as an account manager. This is the first time EVER that I have a job that is neither in the retail or service industry. It's definitely refreshing. Overall, I think it was a wise career change as it leaves my evenings and weekends open for class, jewelry making and crafting, and spending time with awesome people. Speaking of class, I have roughly 4 semesters left (if everything goes as planned and I don't take summer classes) until I graduate with two degrees. I'm finally seeing that light at the end of the tunnel!

As for jewelry making, I've stopped creating so much of the simple jewelry just because it's easy to sell. I know I need to make a profit, but if I'm not enjoying it, what's the point? The whole reason why I started selling my jewelry was to fund something that I was passionate about. So I'm packing up and moving on. I recently started sawing sterling silver sheet metal and, wow, so much fun! You can see from the picture I posted here one of the first pieces I created with sawing. It's a bff puzzle heart necklace duo made for my bestie and myself. I know, cheesy, right? I still haven't learned how to solder, but I have done some PMC and am super excited about this since I learned that I can fire it over a gas stove instead of having to buy a kiln.

So, expect more posts with not just jewelry, but other fun projects I'm working on in between work and classes, like reupholstering an awesome channel back chair and playing around with a new gouache set that my godmother gave me recently.

No comments: