Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It's OWL good!


Finally giving myself more time to work on what I love. Too bad silver has been around $40/oz lately (about four times the cost I was paying when I started making sterling silver jewelry in 2006). I'm turning to less expensive metals like copper and brass to satisfy my jewelry making needs. I have a couple of giant sheets of copper right now, but it's so thin! I had no idea how much that mattered with sawing sheet metal. The metal bends as you're sawing and since I'm still learning how to saw sheet metal, I end up breaking a ton of saw blades. One thing that I found helped is that I took a square of copper and hammered it a bit until the metal wasn't as malleable. I only broke one blade for this owl pendant, and that makes me super happy!

No comments: